Immersive Learning Research Network 1st Meeting & Virtual Symposium: iLRN Corvallis, Oregon 2014 Meetup, USA
“Immersed in the Future, Together: Scholarship, Experience, and Community”
Oregon State University is pleased to announce the iLRN Corvallis, Oregon 2014 Meetup and Virtual Symposium. This regional meeting and virtual symposium will feature expert researchers, theorists, practitioners, and developers showcasing projects and products that offer “immersive” learning experiences enhanced by digital technology. Immersive environments include virtual worlds, video games, augmented reality applications, and other ways to give people a sense of “Being There”. The Oregon meeting and worldwide virtual symposium will be the first official event of the globally represented Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN).
The Oregon 2014 Meetup and iLRN Committees invite all immersive learning professionals from across the disciplines to propose a presentation for this Corvallis event, either in person or virtually via the Internet.
Call for Presentation Proposals
Proposal acceptances will be communicated on a first-come, first-served basis starting September 10th. If your proposal is accepted, you will be provided with the ability to schedule a presentation time that is convenient to your time zone and work schedule. Early proposal submission and acceptance will give you the most flexibility for scheduling your presentation. The deadline to submit presentation proposals for guaranteed space is October 13th; proposals received after that date, up until a final deadline of October 27th, will be accepted on a space-available basis. For presentation requirements, please visit: https://immersivelrn.org/ilrn-corvallis-oregon-2014-meetup
Note: Presenters do not need to be active iLRN members. However, everyone is encouraged to join for free before January 1st, 2015 when membership application fees may apply. See https://immersivelrn.org/ for information on joining the Network.
As the inaugural event for the Immersive Learning Research Network, the Oregon Meetup Committee believe it fitting to emphasize the communal interest in gathering expertise from across the disciplines, the need to meaningfully connect research to practice, and the critical necessity for people to have mutual experiences and frames of reference. These are hallmarks of meaningful Communities of Practice.
The theme for the iLRN Corvallis, Oregon 2014 Meetup is “Immersed in the Future, Together: Scholarship, Experience, and Community”.
The iLRN Oregon Meetup Committee will give preference to those proposals of Immersive Learning presentations that feature:
- Attempts to substantively bridge multiple kinds of expertise to generate a sense of “immersion” (e.g. psychology, pedagogy, architecture, computer science, etc);
- Sharing resources and visions for Immersive Learning researchers and practitioners to use in developing a common future.
- Sharing technical expertise on creation of Immersive Learning experiences that is not readily available for free elsewhere;
- Featuring design -or evidence- based reasoning for learning within the design of an immersive experience;
- Explicitly develops capacity within immersive learning experiences to form community OR focuses on the community that forms as a result of efforts to create immersive learning experiences;
- Providing Open Educational Resources or open source possibilities for developing Immersive Learning to everyone – to encourage community and sharing.
- Articulating conceptual frameworks or definitions for specific kinds of Immersive Learning expertise that may be of possible benefit or use by others.
Other ideas? Pitch them to the Oregon 2014 Meetup committee!
About the iLRN Meetings and Virtual Symposia Series
Immersive Researchers and Developers gather and showcase their work, gather to form community, connect with experts around the world, support one another and generate CAPACITY to reach the high level of quality results that is demonstrated formally at the iLRN Annual Conference. The 1st Annual iLRN Conference is to be held in Prague, Czech Republic in July, 2015. Prior to then, iLRN members around the world may host Regional Meetings and/or Virtual Symposia. Each Regional Meeting &/or Worldwide Symposia generally has a topic or theme. These meetings serve to build capacity for attendees as well as to generate content for the online iLRN presence and materials (newsletters, announcements, etc). The activities and products of these Regional Meetings generates content and stimulates dialogue throughout the iLRNetwork online. These meetings are intended to help create community in local/regional/national areas and connect them with people throughout the world through the virtual symposia.