Information for attendees
The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) is a public research university located on a 1,022-acre (414 ha) site near Goleta, California, United States, 8 miles (13 km) from Santa Barbara and 100 miles (160 km) northwest of Los Angeles.
Santa Barbara is a city on the central California coast, with the Santa Ynez Mountains as dramatic backdrop. Downtown, Mediterranean-style white stucco buildings with red-tile roofs reflect the city’s Spanish colonial heritage. Lining State Street are upscale boutiques and restaurants offering local wines and seasonal fare. On a nearby hill, Mission Santa Barbara, founded in 1786, houses Franciscan friars and a small museum.
The campus can be a little confusing to those who have not been here before and since the UCSB buildings do not have official street addresses, using a gps/driving app does not work so well either. Beginning on Sunday afternoon, Conference Services will set up signs for “ILRN 2016” to find the conference buildings.
Directions to USCB: http://www.ucsb.edu/maps-directions
Maps of the campus of the University of California – Santa Barbara: http://www.aw.id.ucsb.edu/maps/
If you are staying at UCSB you will find signs to Santa Rosa Hall where check-in will take place. Santa Rosa is right next to Anacapa, so you’ll easily pull up out front and park in the green zone using your unloading permit, come inside and check in to get your official parking permit and room keys. Jump back in your car and park in lot 2 and then go to your room in Anacapa. If you look at the campus map you’ll see this is all very close.
Anacapa Residence Hall
Anacapa residence hall has the following features:
- Two-story hall with rooms that open onto interior hallways
- Large, communal bathrooms for separate genders on each hallway (appx. 15-25 rooms per bathroom)
- Rooms furnished with one or two single beds, desks, desk chair, small chest of drawers and a closet
- Choice of single- or double-occupancy rooms
- Wireless internet service in rooms and common areas
- Fresh towels and trash removal service provided daily
- Beds made up with one set of linen for the duration of your stay
- One television lounge
- Rooms do not have telephones, televisions, radios or clocks (they do not provide “wake-up service;” bringing an alarm clock is recommended)
- Laundry washer/dryer facilities (credit card payment)
- Located within a 10-15 minute walk from the conference meeting rooms and from the beach
A courtesy telephone is available in each hall lobby for local and credit card or calling card calls.
The reception desk can also post phone messages on message boards in the hall lobby. The Conference Services 24-hour front desk will be located in Santa Rosa Residence Hall; the phone number is (805)893-2772 if you would like to give out a phone number where messages can be left for you.
What to bring
With shared bath facilities it is recommended that you bring a bathrobe and shower shoes. We are unable to provide “wake-up service,” therefore an alarm clock is recommended for your convenience. Individual rooms do not have telephones, televisions, radios or clocks.
Dining commons meals are included with the accommodation packages. (See “Package Options” page for meals included in each package; some conferences may have specially-catered banquets or buffets instead of one or more meals in the dining commons). Our Dining Services are among the top-rated among colleges and universities nationwide, with the following features:
- Assorted hot foods cooked to order
- Vegetarian, vegan, and low-fat selections available at every meal
- Extensive salad and condiment bar including fresh fruit
- Fresh baked goods prepared on-site daily
For your convenience, we recommend making flight reservations with Santa Barbara Municipal Airport (SBA) as your final destination. There are several daily flight arrivals connecting directly from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, and Dallas/Fort Worth. UCSB campus is a ten-minute drive from the airport.
Santa Barbara Airbus (bus shuttle service from LAX): This service provides several daily bus trips from Los Angeles International Airport to Santa Barbara (appx. $88 if reserved in advance). Reservations are strongly recommended:
(800)423-1618 (toll-free US/Canada), (805)964-7759 (outside US/Canada) or www.sbairbus.com. There are discounts for advance reservations and for parties of two or more. You will get off at the GOLETA stop and you can call for our free shuttle service from there (805-893-2772).
Santa Barbara is served by Amtrak Train Service. Amtrak terminals are located in Santa Barbara (12–15 miles from campus) and Goleta (5 miles from campus).
UCSB is easily accessible from highway US-101. See CAMPUS & AREA MAPS tab on the menu at the top of this page. Note that if using driving directions/maps websites (such as Google Maps), there is no proper street address for UCSB; you can get basic directions by entering just the zip code of “93106”.
- From the South: Take US-101 northbound to the Airport/UCSB/Hwy 217 exit (appx. 8 mi. north of downtown Santa Barbara). This expressway will take you directly into campus. As you enter campus, stay in the left lane; enter the roundabout, then exit the roundabout onto Lagoon Road. Turn right at the first stop sign onto UCEN Road; Santa Rosa Hall is the second residence hall on the left side of UCEN Road. All attendees check-in at the Santa Rosa Conference Desk.
- From the North: Take US-101 southbound to the Storke/Glen Annie Road exit. Turn right on Storke Road. Proceed 2 miles to El Colegio Road. Turn left on El Colegio Road, proceed about one mile, and enter the UCSB campus. After entering campus, turn left at the second traffic light onto Ocean Road. Proceed on Ocean Road, make a sharp left turn at the stop sign, get in the right lane and bear right at the end of Ocean Road onto Mesa Road. Proceed into the traffic roundabout near the East Entrance of campus; exit the roundabout onto Lagoon Road. Turn right at the first stop sign onto UCEN Road; Santa Rosa Hall is the second residence hall on the left side of UCEN Road. All attendees check-in at the Santa Rosa Conference Desk.
If you register for on-campus accommodation, at the time of check-in you will receive a complimentary permit for the duration of your stay. Please download the temporary 60-minute parking permit, which you can use to check-in and unload upon arrival.
To park on campus, you must have a permit 7 days per week. Summer parking rates for visitors and conference participants staying off-campus will be $8 (for each entire weekday), or $4 (for each weekday evening only or for each weekend day).
Be very cautious of where you park. Guests are responsible for following parking rules and for any penalties.