Please follow the steps outlined below to prepare and submit your camera-ready paper or extended abstract for the iLRN 2020 conference proceedings and for IEEE Xplore.
The instructions below pertain to Academic Stream papers, Workshops, Special Sessions, and Panel Sessions that have been accepted for the conference following peer review.
For Practitioner Stream contributions that have been accepted, there is no need to take the steps below to prepare a camera-ready submission; simply make any necessary revisions to your abstract to address the reviewers’ feedback, and enter your revised abstract under your existing submission in EasyChair as well as ensure the presenter’s details are exactly as you would like them to appear in the conference program.
If you are preparing a submission that has yet to undergo peer review, please click on the applicable contribution type in the navigation menu on the left in order to view guidelines for that contribution type.
1. Reinstate any information previously removed for blind review
- Author names, affiliations, and email addresses;
- Citations of and references to the authors’ own publications;
- Any identifiers appearing within figures that were obscured to conceal the identity of the author(s) and/or their institution(s);
- Funding sources and other acknowledgments.
2. Proofread the paper to eliminate spelling, grammatical, punctuation, and other errors
It is essential that your final paper is free of language and typographical errors prior to submission. Please perform thorough proofreading to ensure this is the case.
If you are an author from a non-English-speaking background, please obtain editorial assistance from a colleague who is a native English speaker and/or engage a commercial language editing service. IEEE has agreements with a number of such services to offer discounted rates to authors, but please note that you may use any service of your choosing.
3. Check the paper or extended abstract for compliance with IEEE style and referencing guidelines
Even if the original paper or extended abstract submitted for review was already prepared using the above MS-Word template, a fresh copy of the template should still be downloaded for reference to the instructions and examples that it contains. Compare it side-by-side with your paper or extended abstract to make sure each element is formatted exactly as it should be.
If employing the LaTeX version of the template, ensure the template’s conference mode is being used. Refer to the IEEEtran_HOWTO.pdf file as well as the sample conference paper file (conference_101719.pdf) for instructions and examples. Also compare the sample conference paper file with the PDF output of your paper or extended abstract and to make sure each element is formatted exactly as it should be.
Where there are conflicts between the IEEE Reference Guide and the templates, the Reference Guide always prevails.
If the paper does not adhere fully to the style/formatting and referencing/citation requirements, it may be REJECTED by IEEE for inclusion in Xplore. Please check—and double, triple check—that you have followed all of the instructions and examples in the template!
- Use of any other IEEE templates is not acceptable as there are subtle differences between those templates and the conference template that will affect the consistency in appearance of items published in the proceedings.
- Do not change the paper size (US Letter) or margins in the template.
- The headers and footers must remain empty. (They should not contain page numbers or anything else!)
- If using MS-Word, formatting of the various elements of the paper or extended-abstract document must be done using the pre-defined MS-Word styles in the template, rather than manually. The paper must use all the predefined font styles, sizes, etc. as per the template.
- Page lengths must fall within the ranges listed below:
- Full paper: 6 to 8 pages
- Short paper: 4 to 5 pages
- Work-in-Progress paper: 2 to 3 pages
- Extended abstract for Workshop, Special Session, or Panel Session: 2 to 3 pages
4. Add the required copyright notice to the paper or extended abstract
Insert the appropriate copyright clearance code notice in the footer of the first page of the paper or extended abstract.
For papers in which all authors are employed by the US government, the copyright notice is:
U.S. Government work not protected by U.S. copyright
For papers in which all authors are employed by a Crown government (UK, Canada, and Australia), the copyright notice is:
XXX-X-XXXX-XXXX-X/20/$31.00 ©2020 Crown
For papers in which all authors are employed by the European Union, the copyright notice is:
XXX-X-XXXX-XXXX-X/20/$31.00 ©2020 European Union
For all other papers, the copyright notice is:
XXX-X-XXXX-XXXX-X/20/$31.00 ©2020 Immersive Learning Research Network
(The string XXX-X-XXXX-XXXX-X is a placeholder for the ISBN.)
5. Complete the camera-ready submission checklist
On the first page of the form, work your way through the checklist and ensure that each requirement has been met.
On the second page, complete the table to show how you have addressed each of the issues/concerns raised by the Program Chairs and reviewers in their feedback.
The completed submission checklist and responses to reviewers will need to be completed and uploaded to EasyChair along with your camera-ready paper or extended abstract later, in the final step below.
6. Generate an IEEE Xplore-compliant PDF of your paper or extended abstract
PDF eXpress is a free service to IEEE conferences, allowing authors to produce IEEE Xplore-compatible PDFs (Conversion function) or to check PDFs that authors have produce themselves for IEEE Xplore compatibility (PDF Check function).
First-time users should do the following to log in to the site:
a) Select the New Users – Click Here link.
b) Enter 47897XP for the Conference ID, your email address, and a password
c) Continue to enter information as prompted.
An online confirmation will be displayed and an email confirmation will be sent verifying your account setup.
Previous users of PDF eXpress or IEEE PDF eXpress Plus need to follow the above steps, but should enter the same password that was used for previous conferences. Verify that your contact information is valid.
STOP! Please ensure that you have completed all preceding steps, including thoroughly proofreading and checking the layout of manuscript, before proceeding beyond this point.
Once you are logged in to IEEE PDF eXpress, please use it to attain IEEE Xplore-compatible PDF(s). You can do this by uploading either source file(s) for conversion and/or PDF(s) for checking.
If you upload a source file, you will receive the eXpress-generated PDF as an attachment, and through your IEEE account. Review the PDF carefully to ensure that it displays as you intended.
If you upload a PDF file, you will receive an email stating that PDF passed or failed the check. In the case of failure, a PDF Check Report is attached to the email. You can click “Understanding the PDF Check Report” in PDF eXpress for suggested remedial steps to take.
- When first accessing PDF eXpress, you may be presented with a deadline for submitting your paper by a certain date. This deadline should be ignored, as is not the conference deadline for uploading your camera-ready paper. Please see the iLRN 2020 Important Dates page for the official conference deadlines.
- Please go to the IEEE Publication Support Center for help accessing and using PDF eXpress. Unfortunately, the iLRN Conference Organizing Committee cannot provide support or assistance in this regard as PDF eXpress is controlled entirely by IEEE.
7. Complete and sign the iLRN 2020 copyright form
The copyright form must be completed, signed, and uploaded to EasyChair along with your camera-ready paper or extended abstract in the next step.
8. Upload your camera-ready paper or extended abstract and accompanying files
Your final submission must be uploaded to the conference’s online submission system, EasyChair, no later than the camera-ready deadline. It should consist of the following:
- Both source (MS-Word or LaTeX) and PDF versions of your camera-ready paper or extended abstract
- Your completed checklist form, including responses to Program Chairs’ and reviewers’ comments
- Your completed and signed copyright form.
Once again, submissions cannot be accepted via email.
- Ensure the title, abstract, and keywords entered on the submission form in EasyChair are EXACTLY as they appear in the PDF of your camera-ready paper or extended abstract. (Copy and paste from the Word or LaTeX source file—not the PDF—into the web form.) If there are discrepancies, there may be problems when we attempt to submit your contribution to IEEE Xplore.