The Immersive Learning Project Showcase & Competition is an opportunity for academics, students, professionals, and institutions/organizations to gain widespread exposure and acclaim for their innovative work in developing VR/AR/MR (XR) and immersive experiences that support learning in a range of sectors and contexts, as well as to have the work considered for inclusion in the Collection of Exemplars that is being developed as part of The State of XR and Immersive Learning project.
Showcase & Competition contributions may be in the form of:
- a 2D or 360o video demonstration/tour/walkthrough of the project/experience;
- a 2D web-based gallery of graphics, animations, and/or other multimedia artifacts;
- an interactive 3D virtual world or environment highlighting and demonstrating the key features and elements of the project/experience;
- a combination of any of the above.
In the first instance, prospective contributors are asked to complete the proposal form linked below no later than April 8, 2021, and those who are shortlisted to participate will be contacted by April 19, 2020 with further instructions. Shortlisted contributors must register for the conference by May 3, 2021 and will have until May 10, 2021 to prepare their Showcase contribution.
Proposal Shortlisting and Preparation of Showcase Contributions
The process used to shortlist and select proposals to progress to the Showcase & Competition will give preference to individuals and teams who will also be delivering papers/presentations at the virtual conference that are related to their intended Showcase & Competition contributions.
Each individual or team contributor whose proposal is selected will be assigned a WebXR space in which to construct their Showcase contribution (exhibit) by populating it with a variety of media types and artifacts. A link to the experience itself, or to a website/portal from which it can be downloaded, may also optionally be included, but only if it is freely accessible and not behind a paywall. Additionally, subject to space availability, it may be possible for contributors to supply Unity assets for porting into the virtual conference venue where the conference activities will take place.
Showcase & Competition contributors must register for and attend the conference, and will need to make themselves available to meet and present to/talk with conference attendees about their projects at designated times during the conference program schedule.
Awards will be presented for the best contributions, and individuals/teams whose projects are selected for the State of XR and Immersive Learning Exemplar Collection will receive Certificates of Commendation.
Contributions will be evaluated based on the following key criteria:
- Demonstration of appropriate and innovative use of the unique affordances of the relevant technologies/media (in both the project being showcased as well as the Showcase contribution itself);
- Application of established and sound learning/instructional design principles;
- Adoption of a learning-science-informed and research-grounded approach to the design and development process;
- Accommodation of and support for diverse learners, including marginalized groups;
- Strength and thoughtfulness of connections made to one or more of the 2020 State of XR and Immersive Learning topic categories;
- Overall contribution to research and/or practice in the field of XR and immersive learning.
As a central part of iLRN’s mission is the cultivation of an evidence base to guide/inform the creation of effective and engaging XR and immersive learning experiences, contributions that include an empirical evaluation component attesting to “what works” (and/or what doesn’t!) will be looked upon favorably by the Awards Committee—although such a component is not a strict requirement. Additionally, in line with iLRN’s open science–open design–open access ethos, we strongly encourage and will give preference to contributions showcasing XR and immersive learning experiences that have been made freely and openly available to the public (e.g., under a Creative Commons license).
Submitting a Proposal
Proposal submission for the Immersive Learning Project Showcase & Competition is via the form linked below.
Inquiries regarding the Immersive Learning Project Showcase & Competition may be directed to [email protected].
Please note that the Immersive Learning Project Showcase & Competition is not intended as a venue for promoting commercial products and/or services. Vendors and other businesses interested in gaining exposure at the conference should consider purchasing a sponsorship or exhibition package.