Please follow the steps outlined below to prepare and submit your camera-ready paper or extended abstract for the iLRN 2021 conference proceedings and for IEEE Xplore®.
The instructions below pertain to Academic Stream papers only that have been accepted for the conference following the peer-review process.
For Practitioner Stream contributions that have been accepted, there is no need to take the steps below to prepare a camera-ready submission. Please refer to the Practitioner Stream instructions for more information.
If you are preparing a submission that has yet to undergo peer review, please follow the instructions in the Academic Stream instructions instead.
1. Reinstate any information previously removed for blind review
- Author names, affiliations, and email addresses;
- Citations of and references to the authors’ own publications;
- Any identifiers appearing within figures that were obscured to conceal the identity of the author(s) and/or their institution(s);
- Funding sources and other acknowledgements.
Please double-check that all the authors are included, that they are in the correct order and that they are correctly spelt. After submitting the camera-ready documents to the IEEE Xplore® it won’t be possible to change any of these details.
2. Address the reviewers’ feedback and proofread the paper to eliminate spelling, grammatical, punctuation, and other errors
Please revise your paper in light of the reviewers’ feedback, documenting in a separate document your changes and your response to each point raised by the reviewers and an indication of what action was taken as a result.
In Step 5 (below), you will be required to include the details on changes made as part of the Final Checklist form. The Final Checklist form along with your camera-ready paper is required for your contribution to be included in the proceedings.
Please perform thorough proofreading to ensure that your final paper is free of language and typographical errors prior to submission. Corrections after you submit your paper, won’t be accepted.
If you are an author from a non-English-speaking background, please obtain editorial assistance from a colleague who is a native English speaker and/or engage a commercial language editing service. IEEE has agreements with a number of such services to offer discounted rates to authors, but please note that you may use any service of your choosing.
3. Check the paper for compliance with IEEE style and referencing guidelines
If you are using the MS-Word version of the template please use a fresh copy of the template for reference to the instructions and examples that it contains, even if the original paper submitted for review was already prepared using the above MS-Word template. Compare it side-by-side with your paper to make sure each element is formatted exactly as it should be.
If you are using the LaTeX version of the template, you must ensure the template’s “conference” mode is being used. Refer to the IEEEtran_HOWTO.pdf file as well as the sample conference paper file (conference_101719.pdf) for instructions and examples. Also compare the sample conference paper file with the PDF output of your paper and to make sure each element is formatted exactly as it should be.
Where there are conflicts between the IEEE Reference Guide and the templates, the Reference Guide always prevails.
If the paper does not adhere fully to the style/formatting and referencing/citation requirements, it may be REJECTED by IEEE for inclusion in Xplore®. Please check—and double, triple-check—that you have followed all of the instructions and examples in the template!
- Use of any other IEEE templates is not acceptable as there are subtle differences between IEEE templates (e.g. journal templates) and the conference template that will affect the consistency in appearance of items published in the proceedings.
- Do not change the paper size (US Letter) or margins in the template. If your text goes beyond the allocated number of pages for your contribution (see page lengths below) please edit the content to fit in. Changing the paper size or margins will only delay the process of submission as you will be asked to put it back and edit your content.
- The headers and footers must remain empty. (They should not contain page numbers or anything else!)
- If using MS-Word, formatting of the various elements of the paper document must be done using the pre-defined MS-Word styles in the template, rather than manually. The document must use all the predefined font styles, sizes, etc. as per the template.
- Page lengths must fall within the ranges listed below:
- Full paper: 6 to 8 pages
- Short paper: 4 to 5 pages
- Work-in-Progress paper (Academic poster): 2 to 3 pages
- Doctoral Colloquium (DC) paper: 2 to 3 pages
4. Add the required copyright notice to the paper
Insert the appropriate copyright clearance code notice in the footer of the first page of the paper only.
For papers in which all authors are employed by the US government, the copyright notice is:
U.S. Government work not protected by U.S. copyright
For papers in which all authors are employed by a Crown government (UK, Canada, and Australia), the copyright notice is:
978-1-7348995-2-8/21/$31.00 ©2021 Crown
For papers in which all authors are employed by the European Union, the copyright notice is:
978-1-7348995-2-8/21/$31.00 ©2021 European Union
For all other papers, the copyright notice is:
978-1-7348995-2-8/21/$31.00 ©2021 Immersive Learning Research Network
5. Complete the camera-ready submission checklist
On the first page of the form, work your way through the checklist and ensure that each requirement has been fully met.
On the second page, complete the table to show how you have addressed each of the issues/concerns raised by the Program Chairs and reviewers in their feedback.
The completed submission checklist and responses to reviewers will need to be completed and uploaded to our conference’s ConfTool submission system along with your camera-ready paper later, in the final step below.
6. Generate an IEEE Xplore-compliant PDF of your paper
To do so you must use PDF eXpress®. PDF eXpress® is a free service to IEEE conferences, allowing authors to produce IEEE Xplore-compatible PDFs (Conversion function) or to check PDFs that authors have produced themselves for IEEE Xplore® compatibility (PDF Check function).
First-time users should click on the link above and do the following:
- Select the New Users – Click Here link.
- Enter 52045X for the Conference ID, your email address, and a password
- Continue to enter information as prompted.
An online confirmation will be displayed and an email confirmation will be sent verifying your account setup.
Previous users of PDF eXpress® or IEEE PDF eXpress® Plus need to follow the above steps, but should enter the same password that was used for previous conferences. Verify that your contact information is valid so you receive notifications of the paper conversion/validation process.
STOP! Please ensure that you have completed all preceding steps, including thoroughly proofreading and checking the layout of manuscript, before proceeding beyond this point.
Once you are logged in to PDF eXpress®, please upload either your paper source file(s) for conversion and/or PDF(s) for checking IEEE Xplore-compatibility.
If you upload a source file, you will receive the eXpress-generated PDF as an email attachment, and through your PDF eXpress® account. Review the PDF carefully to ensure that it displays as you intended.
If you upload a PDF file, you will receive an email stating that PDF passed or failed the check. In the case of failure, a PDF Check Report is attached to the email. You can click “Understanding the PDF Check Report” in PDF eXpress® for suggested remedial steps to take. Please correct the errors and resubmit it to the PDF eXpress® for validation. Repeat this process until your document passes the check.
- When first accessing PDF eXpress®, you may be presented with a deadline for submitting your paper by a certain date. This deadline should be ignored, as is not the conference deadline for uploading your camera-ready submission. Please see the iLRN 2021 Important Dates page for the official conference deadlines.
- Please go to the IEEE Publication Support Center for help accessing and using PDF eXpress®. Unfortunately, the iLRN Conference Organizing Committee cannot provide support or assistance in this regard as PDF eXpress® is controlled entirely by IEEE.
7. Complete and sign the copyright form
The copyright form must be completed, digitally signed, and uploaded to our conference’s ConfTool submission system along with your camera-ready paper in the next step.
- Please consider the environment—there is no need to print the copyright form! The form can and should be completed and signed electronically, and it is strongly recommended that you use Adobe Reader (free) for this purpose. (Mac users: Please do not use the Preview app.)
- For the iLRN Publication Title, enter the following: 2021 7th International Conference of the Immersive Learning Research Network (iLRN)
8. Upload your camera-ready paper and accompanying files
Your final submission must be uploaded to our conference’s ConfTool submission system, no later than the camera-ready deadline. Please see the iLRN 2021 Important Dates page for the official conference deadlines.
Your submission should consist of the following:
- Both source (MS-Word or LaTeX) and PDF versions of your camera-ready paper. If you used LaTex, please include all the files and folders used in a .zip file and upload this (include all .tex and .bib files, images used and related files). Failing in doing so will delay submission of your paper to the IEEE Xplore® repository.
- Your completed checklist form, including responses to Program Chairs’ and reviewers’ comments.
- Your completed and signed copyright form.
Once again, camera-ready submissions cannot be accepted via email.
Ensure the title, abstract, and keywords entered on the submission form in the conference’s ConfTool submission system are EXACTLY as they appear in the PDF of your camera-ready paper. (Copy and paste from the Word or LaTeX source file—not the PDF—into the web form.) Be aware that if there are discrepancies, there may be problems when we attempt to submit your contribution to IEEE Xplore®.
For any questions related to the camera-ready submission process or any other publications related inquiry please contact:
For general iLRN enquires: