Special sessions are interactive sessions of either 30 or 60 minutes in length. The number of special sessions offered is limited. These sessions are intended to add value to the conference experience, enhance the knowledge of the session participants in a specialized topic area, and help advance scholarship, practice, or policy in XR and immersive learning.
Proposals for special sessions that are accepted, registered, and presented at the conference will be published in the conference proceedings in the form of extended abstracts and submitted for inclusion in IEEE Xplore®.
Required content and structure of proposals/extended abstracts
Proposals/extended abstracts for special sessions should be 2–3 pages* in length (inclusive of any tables, figures, references, and appendices) in standard IEEE double-column format. In addition to a maximum 200-word abstract summarizing the proposed session, the document should contain the following sections:
- Aims and Target Audience: What will be accomplished and/or gained from the proposed session? Who would be interested in attending the session, and why?
- Novelty, Timeliness, and Relevance: What makes the proposed session original or different to what attendees are likely to have encountered in the past? In what ways does the session address recent, current, and/or issues, trends, and challenges in XR and immersive learning? How does it align with or otherwise relate to the theme of the conference?
- Participant Engagement and Interaction: How will you keep participants interested and engaged throughout the session? What types and level of interaction are anticipated?
- Special Session Description and Session Plan: Provide a description of the topics/content/materials to be covered, along with an outline of the details and time allotted for each planned activity (i.e., an agenda). What, specifically, can participants expect to hear, see, and do during the session?
- Intended Outcomes: What outcomes are anticipated from the session and activities? What future work will/might result from the session?
*These are strict page limits, and all figures, tables, references, as well as any other front or back matter (e.g., abstracts and appendixes) are included in the limit. Exceptions cannot be made.
Any special technology requests should be entered on the submission form within the online submission system rather than included in the proposal/extended abstract document. Please note that there is no guarantee that these requests will be fulfilled.
Proposal/extended abstract review criteria
All special session proposals/extended abstracts will undergo single-blind peer review based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to immersive learning research and/or practice
- Quality of proposed session content and audience engagement strategies
- Language and writing style
Proposal/extended abstract template and guidelines
Please use the IEEE conference paper template to prepare your proposal/extended abstract.
(Ensure you use the U.S. Letter version)
- Use of any other IEEE templates is not acceptable as there are subtle differences between those templates and the conference template that will affect the consistency in appearance of contributions published in the proceedings.
- Do not change the paper size or margins in the template.
- The headers and footers must remain empty. (They should not contain page numbers or anything else!)
- Formatting of the proposal/extended abstract must be done using the predefined MS-Word styles in the template, rather than manually. The document must use all the predefined font styles, sizes, etc. as per the template.
- Basic examples of citations and references are included in the template. For more comprehensive information on citations and references, see the IEEE Reference Guide. Note that where there are conflicts between the template and the IEEE Reference Guide, the Reference Guide prevails.
- Remove template guidance text from the proposal/extended abstract prior to submission.
- The proposal/extended abstract must be at least 2 and no longer than 3 pages in length (inclusive of any tables, figures, references, and appendices).
Proposal/extended abstract submissionProposals/extended abstracts should be saved in PDF format and submitted online via the conference’s ConfTool submission system. Please note that submissions cannot be accepted via email.
All special session presenters must register for the full conference. They may do so at the Practitioner rate, provided they are not listed as authors on any Academic Stream papers.