The Practitioner Stream of the conference is for those who wish to present at the conference but not to be included in the IEEE conference proceedings. Submissions are evaluated based on a structured proposal.
iLRN will produce Practitioner Stream conference proceedings for those who wish to publish their proposals.
1. Decide which type of submission you will prepare
Practitioner presentation types
- Practitioner oral presentation: iLRN 2022 will adopt a “flipped” model for oral presentations. Presenters will pre-record a video describing their work for attendees to watch before attending the conference session, freeing up the bulk of the time for interaction and audience questions. The video should be no more than 10 minutes in length and may be in any suitable format of the presenter’s choosing. (Instructions and guidelines for preparing and uploading these videos are available here.) Presenters will be grouped into one-hour sessions based on topic themes, with 2-3 presenters scheduled per session. Each presenter will deliver a 5-minute talk recapping the main ideas from the pre-recorded video. They will participate in a moderated discussion with the other presenters and attendees in the remaining session time, facilitated by a Session Chair.
- Practitioner poster: A poster is a single image containing a visual representation of the presenter’s work that will be displayed in the virtual Expo Hall. Presenters are expected to station themselves by their posters and dialogue with conference delegates about their work during a designated poster session. Poster presenters have the option to create a pre-recorded video of no longer than 5 minutes in length or a Google Slide deck to complement their poster. (Instructions and guidelines for preparing and uploading these materials are available here.)
- Practitioner workshop: A 1- or 2-hour session that provides participants with an opportunity to extend their knowledge and strengthen their skills in a particular technical, pedagogical, design-related, or another area relevant to XR and immersive learning. The longer duration of these sessions allows presenters to delve deeper into the topics presented and provide a collaborative, active learning environment for the attendees. Workshop attendees should leave with skills, knowledge, and ideas that they can use in their research, practice, or scholarship.
- Practitioner panel: Intended to engage attendees in multiple perspectives on a given issue relevant to the theme and scope of the conference. These sessions are 60 minutes in length and the number of panel sessions offered is limited. These sessions are intended to have a broader impact than regular oral presentation sessions, adding value to the iLRN 2022 conference experience by enhancing the knowledge of the session participants and helping advance scholarship, practice, or policy in XR and immersive learning.
- Practitioner special session: An interactive session of either 30 or 60 minutes in length. The number of special sessions offered is limited. These sessions are intended to add value to the conference experience, enhance the knowledge of the session participants in a specialized topic area, and help advance scholarship, practice, or policy in XR and immersive learning.
Proposals are required to include the following information, which should be drafted in a word processor and then copied and pasted into the relevant fields on the online proposal submission form:
- Title and names of all authors and presenters
- Abstract: A short summary of the proposed presentation or poster (between 150 to 250 words)
- Proposal: Please address the four Practitioner Stream review criteria (see below)
- References: Citations and references should follow the IEEE Editorial Style Manual.
The length of the entire proposal is 1000 words maximum (not including references or appendices).
Proposal review criteria
Practitioner Stream proposals will be reviewed using the following criteria:
- Relevance of the topic to the iLRN community and conference theme (educational significance, advances the field, contribution to the iLRN mission)
- Clearly stated purpose and objectives (clarity of ideas, description of the issues or problem to address)
- Well-articulated perspectives or theoretical framework (situatedness in the broader context of similar work conducted by others)
- Substantiated conclusions, interpretations, or recommendations
2. Download the paper template
The purpose of a template is to provide a consistent format for submissions appearing in the conference proceedings. The template contains guidance text for composing and formatting papers. Please ensure that all guiding text is removed from your proposal prior to submission to the conference.
(Make sure you use the U.S. Letter size version)
3. Submit your proposal
Practitioner Stream proposals should be saved in PDF format and submitted online via the conference’s submission system (not email). Please join the iLRN Network before submitting your proposal. https://immersivelearning.toucantech.com/
- You will receive notification of the review process outcome as per our Important Dates calendar.
4. Register to the conference
All presenters listed on a contribution that is accepted for the Practitioner Stream must register for the conference in order to present their contribution. They may do so at the Practitioner rate, provided they are not listed as authors on any Academic Stream papers.
5. Prepare your camera-ready paper and presentation materials
If your paper was accepted and you have registered to attend the conference:
- Prepare your camera-ready version (this is the one that will be included in the Practitioners Proceedings). Please make sure you used the template (in step 2 above) and included any feedback given by the reviewers, otherwise your contribution will be delayed or removed.
- Prepare your presentation and materials following the requirements here. Please make sure you follow the indications completely otherwise you won’t be allowed to present at the conference.
If you will be presenting at iLRN’s Virtual Campus, please follow the guidance and advice here on how to use the platform.